Arabs versus Appaloosas

Hi to all,
Well could not help myself here ,am breeding both the Appalooosa and the
Arab horses and of course ArraApps.
Have been competing successfully on Appaloosas for the last nine years or
so.99 Persent of the endurance folk here in South Africa compete on
Arabs.We started endurance on a Appalooosa stallion Alpha Toibys
Warparth,he was one of the best horses I have ever ridden,he won his first
endurance ride with us,people were amazed to say the least (never mind that
they refused to speak to us for over a year)He continued to win and recieve
numerous BCs,his pulses were incredible,he is retired to stud now after a
long ,succesfull endurance carreer.Am now competing on his sons,also very
succesfully.My one pure bred Appaloosas gelding has not had pulses over 32
the whole season,and this a gelding that can travel 32 kilometres an
hour.My endurance mare Shanni also a Appaloosa mare is one of the top 30
endurance horses in the country,also one of the few with over 4000 kms in
competitive endurance mileage.She is now 15 years old and in foal(finally)
to our up and comming tri coloured 16 hand Leopard Appaloosa stallion.(he
is built very lightly but with great legs and shoulder,no quarter horse in
my Appaloosas what so ever)
Now we get to my Arab/Appaloosas crosses,because Appaloosa mares are as
scarce as hens teeth here ,I decided to start cross breeding using top
endurance Arab mares.Arabs (not being nasty here) are a dime a dozen in
South Africa,I have carefully selected Arab mares with endurance
backgrounds.Have a fine youngster half Arab ,half Appaloosa now going on 5
years,that I will be competing with in future,he is short backed,long
legs,Arab head,mane and tail,jet black with white spots.Am excited about
this gelding he is a smooth ride(flaots) his canter and trot are to die
for.He has done two short rides this season,one 42 km ride and one 30 km
ride to get him used to the vets,and all the activity.His pulses were good
for a young horse.Have some great upcomming purebred Arab fillies that will
be proven first before they eventually go to stud.
To be honest i prefer my Appaloosas,they are unflapable,temprements are
great,dont shy at anything even Rhino,Giraffe and all manner of weird and
wonderfull game.
The combination of Appaloosa and Arab to me is the perfect out crossing,the
gelding I mentioned before is also totally bomb proof,and can really move.I
think one gets the best of both breeds ,tough,hardy,willing with great
temprements and low pulses,so what more can one ask for ,I breed horses for
endurance and they also make great family horses.
Ok I have had my say so for now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regards
kathy and all of her 26 wonderfull Appaloosas and Arabs,with four more
expected at the end of the year!!!
Oops forgot to mention my Appaloosa gelding last year on one of our bigger
rides,his pulses were lower than any of the Arab horses competing(he was
also going alot faster than them)The vets, and riders could not believe
that a AQppaloosas pulses could be lower than a Arabs pulses, mmm something
to think about!!!!