Re: Carbs - only part of the picture

In a message dated 98-06-24 15:28:47 EDT, flemmerl@rcbhsc.wvu.edu writes:

<< Noteworthy in humans - when the bowel mucosa is injured, we generally see
an
 increase in enteral bacteria causing bactermia & sepsis.  The hypothesis is
that
 the bacteria themselves (not just toxins) are translocating through the
damaged
 gut wall to the blood stream.  Does this happen in horses?? >>

As far as we know, Linda, yes this happens in horses, especially youngsters.
In a lot of cases, though, the toxemia is so profound that the horse does not
survive long enough to see if there are bacteria out there, too...

Heidi