Re: Carbs - only part of the picture

In a message dated 98-06-25 01:25:08 EDT, CMKSAGEHIL writes:

<< As you seem to do with just about everybody else.  I have a lot of respect
for Lon, but what I have read of his has not focused on the needs of endurance
horses.  Doesn't mean he is wrong about what he has looked at, just that he
has not looked at some things.>

Endurance horse, the distinct species? Did you try to sell him on 40 lbs of
hay and a handful of carbs? That would have been entertaining.

>Must add, too, that when I attended a lecture by him a few years ago, he
seemed to be far more open-minded on this subject than you are, and much more
curious about different aspects of nutrition than you seem to be.>

Hey, kid, I passed out a whole lot of stuff to people on this list just to
satisfy my curiosity. Didn't know what the stuff was going to do in endurance
horses, but had a suspicion that has proven right. In other areas I'm passing
out creatine, arginine, ornithine, HMB, and some other stuff I'm curious
about. All I generally ask is that people report back--some do, and some
don't. Once in a while, if the cost is prohibitive, or if I've reached the end
of my budget for a project, I provide the stuff at my cost--this happened with
creatine because everybody wanted some.

I'm curious about lysine/methionine ratios, about whey protein vs soy. About
lipoic acid and linoleic acid. About bioflavinoids and hesperidin. About GAGs,
echinacea, CoQ10, choline, folic acid, the B vitamins, C, E, Se combinations.
Gamma Oryzanol. The new NSAIDS.

I'm real curious, pard, and unhindered in my quest by any involvement in my
last research project--there have been too many to become fixated on one or
another. The nice thing is that I get my answers quickly, from the field, with
over 700 horsemen playing with my concepts and contributing their own. We have
a lot of fun--you ought to subscribe to my newsletter, as open-minded as you
are.

ti

 Heidi >>