Re: Carbs - only part of the picture

In a message dated 98-06-25 01:19:17 EDT, jlong@mti.net writes:
Joe:
<< Well, it helps when people understand that others on this list have
 good knowledge of endurance training and nutrition, too, and actual
 experience with it -- and that disagreeing with one of your
 pronouncements is not resistance to change or learning.  No one has
 all the answers, which is what makes discussion, including giving and
 accepting constructive criticism, a learning experience for all who
 participate.

 When egos get in the way, the discussion deteriorates. >>

Aw, don't go soft on me now, Joe. We're into a discussion of equine nutrition,
not sociobabble. I just hate it when the opposition leaves the field in utter
disarray.

Seems to me, I disagreed with somebody else's pronouncement--this after a
superficial apology concerning a crow dinner. I was in the midst of happily
congratulating the innovators and pioneers in the group. Then somebody
reverted to type and I had to respond. And then you jumped in with precisely
two cents worth of opinion--so I had to respond to you. I was happy to do so.
I'm still happy to do so.

So, where are the big guns? Doesn't anybody have some Grand Poobah science to
quote? Is poor ol' Lon Lewis going to win the day? Can't we prove that Heidi's
premise that carbohydrates shrivel horses to faxes of themselves. Or that
molasses causes tying up? Can't we prove Truman's (and your) idea that more
than ten pounds of grain a day will cause a horse to explode. Or founder? Or
die of rampant gangrene? Can't we prove that endurance horses are an entirely
different species than other performance horses?

Or, hey, new subject: can we prove that Appys have equal oxidative capacities
as Arabs?  That will be interesting, indeed.

C'mon, Joe. The whole discussion is degenerating into airheaded name calling.
Are you guys all Democrats, or what?

ti