Re: spongeing at camp/IAHA Rides

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, (Joyce DeVries) wrote:

> Wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem/thought.  We would
> like to have the criteria changed to at least 40 bpm = 0 points.  Or better
> yet 36 bpm = 0 points.  That would at least give a little more advantage to
> the best conditioned horses.  We have noticed too many under-conditioned

Considering the fact that the horse that I am currently riding in
endurance has a resting HR of between 40 and 44 (yes she is extremely fit
and probably better conditioned than 90% of the horses at a CTR) using 36
bpm would not separate well conditioned horses from those less
conditioned, but rather separate those with low resting HR from those
without.

A low resting HR is not necessarily a sign of good condition.

kat
Oange County, Calif.