Re: spongeing at camp/IAHA Rides

In a message dated 98-06-24 14:40:04 EDT, wind@visionsofthewind.com writes:

<<  My stallion has outstanding
 recoveries and is fully conditioned - yet his heartrate is consistantly
 higher than 36 bpm! This is not an indication (IMHO) necessarily of an
 unconditioned horse, but in our case, just active hormones! I'd hate to
 lose to a lesser component just because the breeze shifted... >>

I don't think it is hormones, either--I think it is just innate to the
individual horse.  Some of the low pulse horses I have known are stallions,
and some of the wind-sniffers are geldings.  But definitely anything 44 or
lower is a clinically normal resting heart rate, and fitness determines how
fast the horse returns to that rate, rather than necessarily making that rate
lower.

Heidi