Re: Digestion of grain/carbos

In a message dated 98-06-24 11:52:06 EDT, RALSTON@AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU writes:

<< There is some secretion of acid and perhaps
 pepsin
 in the equine stomach, and if the feed is highly fermentable  (read grain
 and sugars) and gastric emptying delayed (by stress, exhaustion or high fat
 intake) some fermentation can take place in the stomach. HOWEVER there is
 NO absorption of nutrients from the gastric mucosa and under normal
 circumstances, minimal fermentation-the build up of gases from abnormal
 stomach fermentation IN THE STOMACH is what causes the colic you were
 referring to. The ingesta passes from the stomach to the small intestine >>

Thank you, Sarah, and you are absolutely right.  That went right by me in the
late night last night as I was concentrating more on what goes on at the other
end of the GI tract with the VFA's..

Heidi