Re: Carbs - only part of the picture

In a message dated 98-06-24 03:22:26 EDT, Tivers@aol.com writes:

<< Thus, we feed as much as the
 horse will eat, with a gradual increase in the ration, until the horse starts
 leaving some grain. When the horse reaches a "set point" in body weight, you
 cannot "fatten" him unless you stop working him or start feeding him useless
 calories (read "fat" in racehorses). >>

Interesting comment, because we feed very much the same way with roughages,
and find that horses will increase their capacity until their needs are met.
Those who cannot consume enough often do better with the added fat over the
long haul than they do with more carbs.  Seems the feed companies are finding
the same thing in their research on distance horses, as they are beginning to
realize that they need to produce higher-fat feeds.  And in my observations,
many horses that were not doing well in endurance competition with more carbs
are thriving on feeds like Ener-G that have upped the fats.  Again, though, we
are feeding to a different energy goal than you are with your racehorses, and
we must keep those different goals in mind before we are too quick to advise.
I would be foolish to suggest to you that you feed your stakes winners as much
hay as they will consume in the several hours before a race, even though that
is what works so brilliantly for many top endurance horses.

Heidi