thyroid

Hi Johnna,

One of my two horses has low thyroid. He takes a small amount of an
inexpensive powder called Thyro-L.. The symptoms were not only fat body
but a thick, hard cresty neck, thinning mane, fat pouches behind his
elbows (where the girth goes,) and founder (which was caught right away
and treated - no permanent damage.) Since being on the Thyro-L, he no
longer has a gutter down his rump, lost most of the hard crest, and just
generally feels better. I still have to be very careful not to let him
get too much grass, as he has a tendency to founder (I always said he had
the mind of a pony, but he must also have the metabolism of one!) I have
no idea if it's genetic, as I did not know his parents. The reliable test
for low thyroid would have be extremely expensive, so we did not do the
test but went on the basis of symptoms and outcome. By the way, I have
had this little horse for seven years, but the thyroid condition started
only in the last 2 years. He is now almost 18. Hope this helps you.

Patty

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]