Re: Carbs - only part of the picture

In a message dated 98-06-24 00:01:02 EDT, katswig@deltanet.com writes:

<<
 I am not advocating starving young horses, since much of the nutrition
 they receive in their early life is important in developing their full
 potential.  I am still trying to figure out how I can balance "too much
 food" against "not enough nutrition." >>

Our experience is that, if the workload is event-specific, then the horse will
be satiated when its carbohydrate needs are met. Thus, we feed as much as the
horse will eat, with a gradual increase in the ration, until the horse starts
leaving some grain. When the horse reaches a "set point" in body weight, you
cannot "fatten" him unless you stop working him or start feeding him useless
calories (read "fat" in racehorses).

ti