Re: Carbs - only part of the picture

In a message dated 98-06-24 00:01:02 EDT, katswig@deltanet.com writes:

<< Some of this may also have to do with the way the horse's are raised.
 Heidi mentioned that "selecting for easy-keepers" is omething to keep in
 mind when chooisng and endurance mount, but I have found that easy keepers
 are raised, not born. >>

I can sure see huge differences in family lines on the endurance circuit and
in my own breeding program.  While there is truth in what kat says, there is a
big difference in the basic material with which one starts, too.  I know
several of my horses and those of similar breeding are in programs where
people have had picky eaters and poor keepers, and those with the genetic
predisposition to eat and thrive do so in the hands of others, too.

Heidi