Re: Carbo loading

In a message dated 98-06-21 16:33:46 EDT, karen@chaton.gardnerville.nv.us
writes:

<< This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't use it on a horse for the first
 time at an actual endurance ride.  At least test it out a time or two on
 training or pleasure rides to make sure your horse has no reaction to it.
 I am the type of person though, I must admit, that you can't get to try
 anything new at a ride....I always must use it ahead of time to make sure
 it's okay.  So far, between two horses and around 1,000 miles on the carbo
 stuff, neither has ever showed any types of side effects from it...though I
 have learned that it affects each horse differently, and I've also learned
 that I can dose one before he eats, and the other one must be done after he
 has already eaten.  Good luck!

 Happy Trails,

 Karen >>

This is good advice. The timing is most often the problem. Some horses,
though, are hypoglycemic, and respond not at all to the loading process--they
sit at 70-90 blood glucose no matter what you do. Dr. Eleanor Kellon solved
this problem with daily doses of chromium--don't know why that worked,
although she patiently explained it to me.

ti