Non-sweating

We board at a barn that has 25 horses here in South Florida.  Currently,
10 of them have stopped sweating.  95 degrees + 85% humidity =136 degree
heat index.

3 people have asked my opinion (so far our 3 horses are still sweating
well).  First...NO riding in this heat.  Second, as low key diet as
possible.  We are currently feeding 10% pellets and unlimited coastal hay.
Coastal hay is rich in potassium which is essential for these horses to
sweat.  Third, electrolytes twice a day and plenty of fresh, cool water.
(We also give a good vitamin and mineral supplement).

The non-sweaters were feeding sweet feed, oats and alfalfa.  None had ever
supplemented electrolytes.  3 people have switched to our routine and
are giving 1 teaspoon Lite Salt (half sodium/half potassium) twice a day.
Two of the three horses have completely stopped panting and are sweating a
little.  The third is no longer panting, but is not sweating.  Perhaps the
routine helped, or maybe it's because they got off the horses backs in
this heat.

Electrolytes are essential.. free feed or syringe they have to have it or
they absolutely will stop sweating.

Lynn

L. M. Crespo, Ph.D.
Chair