what the heck is this?

Hi guys,

I've taken in a little QH mare on a debt and I noticed she has a funny
crack in her right fore hoof wall.  It's about 1 1/2" long, just below
and parallel to the coronary band.  She's just barely grade 1 lame at
the trot and a little sensitive when I poke at it.  This is after
several days, so I know she's not on any drugs that are masking
something more.

Could this be where an abcess blew out?  Any other ideas, advice,
suggestions?  If this is a passing problem, I can live with it---she's a
nice little mare and a good kid's horse, and potentially something that
Lila Marie could eventually do an LD on.  But if it's something more
chronic, I don't want to let too much bonding to go on until I figure
out what I'm going to do with her.  Doesn't look like a major problem,
but I admit I'm mostly in the dark about hoof problems.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Susan Garlinghouse