Numbers on my horse's butt

Thanks to everyone who responded to the question I posed about bandaging
horses legs.  I was pleased to see that my common sense agreed with the
majority of the responses but as always there are different sides to every
situations.  I would definitely bandage when there was an injury involved but
on the whole I don't have to be concerned about not bandaging.

So now I have another question - not as critical but I'm sure someone has some
found a great way to remove the numbers after a ride - short of scrubbing all
the horses hide off or using some toxic chemical.  My neighbor actually told
me to use gasoline and he was serious.  So anyone with a handy little hint -
please share it.