Re: Crabbet and CMK competitiors

In a message dated 98-06-17 11:31:03 EDT, SandyDSA@aol.com writes:

<< Okay, first - how many of you are wlel-versed in the difference between the
 two? Secondly, how many of you compete on either or both? Third question -
How
 many of you deliberately seek out these lines for competing and breeding
 endurance horses? Please email privately. Of special interest Silver Vanity,
 Hearst, MAynesboro lines. >>

First, Crabbet is just one subset of CMK, which stands for Crabbet-
Maynesborough-Kellogg.  There are extremely few straight "Crabbet" horses (or
even predominantly Crabbet horses) in this country, and many CMK horses are
erroneously referred to as Crabbet horses.  A complete definintion of CMK
appears on my website (www.endurance.net/sagehill/) under the heading "What is
CMK?" for those who are interested.

Second, I compete on CMK horses.  I also tend to check pedigrees of horses at
the many rides I vet, and have observed that CMK horses are well-represented
in both the horses that consistently run up front and the horses that last for
years and years--in fact, they are represented at a much higher percentage
than they are in the Arabian population at large in this country.

Third, Silver Vanity was indeed a Crabbet horse.  The Hearst and Maynesborough
programs utilized Crabbet horses but also used other related sources.  There
is a great deal of Hearst breeding available here on the West coast, and some
Maynesborough breeding.  I would strongly suggest that you contact Michael
Bowling at cmk@davis.com if you have specific questions about Hearst or
Maynesborough horses, as well as about Crabbet horses.  He is one of the
leading experts on CMK horses.

On a personal note, I have quite a bit of Hearst and Kellogg breeding in my
own program, as well as some Maynesborough breeding.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)