Re: Presenting a horse so as to maximize possibilties for BC

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Softrider Saddles wrote:

> Treat the horse that wants to rub on you the same way that you treat one
> that wants to bite.

I cannot agree with this.  There are degrees of bad habits in horses that
horses need to learn.  Biting is OUT, and most horses do it to people out
of something other than "I just can't help myself."  (some stallions are
this way...they just NEED to have somnething in their mouth...so you
resign yourself to buying many lead ropes :).

The rubbing of the head is definitely a "I have GOT to do something about
this itch."  rather than, "I'm in a bad mood and I want to take a chunk
out of something" or "I don't like what you are doing to me so I am going
to bite you to get you to stop."

Horses that bite need to be immediately and forcefully reprimanded
(preferabley not in the head, but if that's what's in reach ....).  HOrses
that scratch need to be given some other way to alleviate their itch.

kat
Orange County, Calif.