Re: Presenting a horse so as to maximize possibilties for BC

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998 00:06:21 -0700, keithr@nocdc.bc.ca (Ann Hatfield)
wrote:

>In what ways can one 'present' a horse for a best shot at the BC?  She also
>commented that a certain rider always presented her horse very, very well.
>How?

There are a number of things you can do.

Train your horse before the ride to the things asked of him at a BC
check.  This includes good manners when being examined, including not
throwing his head around or rubbing on the vet.  He should trot
straight but freely on a loose lead, without hanging back or dancing
about.  If you hold the lead short to control his head a good vet will
spot that in a second!

During the hour between finishing and standing for BC, clean up the
horse!  Get all that trail grime off and brush up his coat.  Sure,
cleanliness isn't supposed to count, but vets are human too!  And a
clean horse will feel better, and if he feels better he'll do better.

Cool his legs and hooves.  Walk him (I do a little trotting in hand)
enough to keep muscles from stiffening up.  Body massage and TTeam can
help too, although I haven't done that.

BC scores are often very close ... a little effort and attention to
detail can make the difference.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net