Re: Bandaging horses legs

Interesting subject, the bandaging of legs after exercise. You may do it
because of tradition, you may do it because of peer pressure or you may
think a bit and consider what it could do for or against the welfare of
your horse.

The horse, like any other animal (man included) builds strength in the
several parts of the body by inducing stress (exercise) and then during
rest, rebuilding a bit stronger. Where does this fit in with bandaging
legs? Well, when you exercise the horse, the legs; tendons, ligaments, bone
and associated sonovial appurtenances are all stressed. These then need to
rebuild, countering the stresses to ensure additional strength the next
time they are used. If artificial support is furnished to the stressed
members (the legs are wrapped) then the need for increasing strength is
unnecessary.

A second thought, one of the desirable things to do for stressed limbs is
cooling. When you wrap the leg you are supplying a very efficient
insulation to the area, The horses body temperature is 100 degrees plus or
minus and this is the minimum temperature of the wrapped leg. Not very
beneficial in my mind.

Now, we will go a bit further and wrap the legs using a bentonite poultice.
Ever see food cooked in a clay pot? Or camp food covered with clay and
cooked in the fire??? Very firm,  tender,  warm and moist!!! But then I am
not overly fond of horse legs for dinner.

What supports my opinions? Over 24,000 miles of top ten finishes on our
horses, no wrapped legs and no lameness problems. Of course correct
conformation and strict attention to shoeing has also played a large part
in this, but the use of nature's own methods of support with the same
methods of strengthening the component parts has been a contributing
factor.

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID

----------
> From: LEEVALLONE@aol.com
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Bandaging horses legs
> Date: Monday, June 15, 1998 1:44 PM
>
> While walking around the base camp after the Mt. Laguna, CA ride this
past
> weekend a friend and I got into a discussion regarding bandaging a horses
legs
> after a ride.  I would like to hear your opinions, pro and con, on
bandaging
> and what you have successfully used as a post ride leg wrap and/or brace
or
> liniment.
>
> To Lynn - congrats on finishing that 50 after 3 prior attempts at doing a
50.
> It's a tough course (IMO) and any finish is an accomplishment.  To all
who
> have not done one of Terry's rides - it's a must.  She is one fantastic
Ride