Re: Rice Bran

Tivers@aol.com wrote:

> Brans limit absorption of some nutrients from the gut and are probably not a
> good idea, in general. However, I've never heard of brans "drawing" calcium
> from bones. On the other hand, calcium is used throughout the body and if
> intake is reduced, then bone will be resorbed in order to provide calcium for
> other organs.
>
> ti

It's that high phosphorus from the bran that messes up the calcium
stores.  If the calcium-phosphorus ratio is inverted (more phosphorus
than calcium), calcium gets mobilized from the bone (that "drawing from
the bones" your vet mentioned)---if despite high phosphorus levels, the
calcium-phosphorus ratio is still balanced, than it won't affect the
calcium stores.  But then you still probably have an excess of both
calcium AND phosphorus, which also isn't good.  And, as Tom says, the
excess phosphorus will tie up the absorption of other nutrients (mostly
minerals).

Susan Garlinghouse