Re: Lessons learned on training ride by beginner

In a message dated 98-06-15 09:42:43 EDT, keithr@nocdc.bc.ca writes:

<< Thanks, Linda but this is very disheartening news.  The vets keep the score
 cards and they weren't given back afterwards so I'm not sure if Riff lost
 points for this but I would think so.  If so this means I'll never be very
 competetive with him as he'll do it over and over.

Was your training ride a CTR or a LD?  If it was a LD, there are no "points"
to lose in the sense you are talking about, as you are in training for a sport
that is timed, and the vet check is pass/fail.  If you are riding CTR's, if
you are truly dealing with a windpuff, it will eventually just be there all
the time and not be a problem.

My concern is that you say the "windpuff" came up and went down--this is not
typical of windpuffs, and might rather be a strain to the fetlock joint.  You
might want to keep an eye on it and make sure you don't have an injury in the
making.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)