OD

Dear Robby and all,
All I can tell you is that Linda Crandall won with her Forgeym(sp)
gelding, Darolyn Butler came in 5th (? horse). As I was standing at the
finish line waiting for "my rider" to finish at 4AM, the #11 rider came
in-Earl Baxter. About 9-10 more people( 2 riders from TX with 1 JR.,
Bucky Spicer, Bob Walsh, Joann Sowa, Joanna Blackmore, Myra Fleming,
Richard Maxwell...) then arrived before Lori Stewart (I was crewing for)
and Bobbie Lieberman came in together at about 4:40AM. I am not sure if
last riders after Lori and Bobbie made the final cut-off.
When Bobbie recovers enough to tell us, maybe she can give some ideas on
what made it so slow this year.In some of the past slow years, there was
an obvious reason- excessive heat/humidity- and as a crew I wasn't
really privvy to actual trail conditions this year.It was Lori's first
OD, so she didn't have anything to compare to on this trail. Lori's
young horse "Rocky" demonstrated incredible heart and cheerfulness
throughout the entire ride- he was so bright and interested at every
check.
I had to leave soon after Lori got in, we had the horse settled in and a
brief nap-for a family occasion, so wasn't there for awards etc.
I will tell you that as a usual rider, it gave me a whole new
appreciation for my CREW (Pete and Beth Ann) and all the "behind the
scenes" organization and gut-work they have done for me in the past.
Deb LaBerge