Re: Preparing for 100

.  My long ride on the weekend has usually been about 20-25 miles or
>so.

Lori,

Your long training ride of 25 miles is plenty.

>	The big question:  If I'm conditioning a horse to then progress to do
>100's (not win, just finish), he's in pretty good shape by now, how do you
>change your conditioning program?

The most important aspect of your training program is the base of LSD miles
that you've put on your horse.  If he has a two year (or at least 500) miles
of LSD....either CTR or 6-8 mph 50's, then he's ready to move up to the
100's.......no need to change anything about your training.  I ride
approximately 30 miles per week simply to maintain fitness between rides.

 Say you do two short, easy rides during>the week.  Just how long is my "long
training ride" on the weekend supposed>to be?  50 miles or what?

If I felt my horse needed a 50 mile training ride........I 'd go to an
Endurance Ride.... :-)

>  Or do you just go out and do 50-mile sanctioned>endurance rides to keep in
shape (I certainly wouldn't want to be doing>that every weekend).

About once a month is plenty........with rest (pasture turnout if possible) in
between rides.

>	There's more.  Once you've done a year of 100's (say about 4 of them), how
>would you change your conditioning program after that?  What would that
>weekly long ride be?

I've done 4 100's in 4 months........haven't changed a thing  (other than
riding later in the day due to the extreme heat wave we are suffering
through....  :-P  )   After you horse achieves a good base of LSD miles and
you are competing at the 50-100 mile level every 6 weeks or so.......over-
training is a much bigger risk than under-training.

Again this is just my experience and my 2 cents worth.  Every horse is an
individual and every training program must be individualized to suit your
horse.  Decide when your horse is ready to tolerate a higher training level by
how he is tolerating your current level.  Are his recoveries good (under 3
minutes?)....Is he maintaining soundness and holding his weight?  In most
cases the horse is ready to move up to 100's...it's the rider who is
hesitant...... :-)

Go for it Lori.......the feeling of accomplishment that you get from
completing 100 miles is second only to winning one!!!!!!

Cindy Bell
Florida
Wameco  ( the ex-Bad Boy who has become such a GOOD boy since doing 100's)