cotton rope vs braided nylon

Back in 76 I was riding someone elses horses.  I had one tied to a post in
the ground.  He was tied with cotton rope.  When I went to put the bridle
on, he pulled back and the rope broke and he fell backward and rolled over
in a somersault.  He wasn't injured.  But I have not used cotton since.
The rope looked intact, but wasn't.  It had rotted in the center where you
couldn't tell.  When it came time to buy my own ropes, I got 5/8 inch
braided nylon just like we had used on the sailboat.  Have been making my
own lead ropes ever since. I tie a bull snap on using a bowline knot(used
to tie up big boats) and it can still be tied and untied.  I use a slip
knot to tie the horse to the hitching post or horse trailor or whatever.
Just don't have any use for those cotton ropes when there is something
better.  I did find them a bit heavy for reins tho, but have some reins
that I have braided from parachute cord and they wear like iron and can be
used for light tie up with horse that doesn't pull and misbehave,etc.
Mary Ann, Tx