Carbos and research project

>Plea #1--I know there are a reasonable number of people using carbos
>during endurance rides and was wondering if everyone could give a quick
>summary of their strategies and what seems to work best for them?  Only
>once during the ride, every few hours, etc?  What else are you feeding
>during the ride, if anything?  What differences have you noticed?

Hi Susan:

I've been using it for about 850 miles now.  Used it on fast 50's, slow
50's, multidays and a couple of one day 100's.  I also have done some blood
sugar (glucose) testing with a diabetes testing kit.  Have had a hard time
getting consistent results due to problems getting my horse to bleed (okay,
so I'm a wimp about poking with him with a needle 10 times a day!).  It got
to the point that the horse would flinch if a vet touched him where I was
getting the samples....so I've backed off with that testing project (for
now).

Anyways...have been giving 2 oz. doses every two hours.  Started out with
that.  Occasionally will increase the amount of doses....say maybe give one
going into the hour hold, and one coming out.  I have noticed a steady
supply of energy from the horse....definitely no feeling of fatigue or
tiredness.  Lots of go, no signs of stiffness or being sore.  Post-ride
recoveries seem to be excellent, sure can't complain there.  Horse seems to
eat well on the ride and giving the carbos doesn't keep him from wanting to
eat immediately.  Recoveries during ride seems to be more than adequate.
I've done some rides this year where the horses highest pulse rate during
the entire ride was 48...don't know if it has anything to do with that or
not.  Working rates seem to be steady and consistent from start to finish.
Not as much of a higher rate early on in the ride with it lowering later
on...seems to stay low throughout (though this could be due to several
other factors).

I have been preloading the day or day and a half before, and continue
feeding (2 oz. doses twice a day) for another day or day and a half as
well.  I also have been gradually inreasing their feed (LMF endurance feed)
the week before a ride as well.  I also give a 2 oz. dose when we finish
the ride, and then another one 2 hours later.  Then, if it was just a one
day ride, I'll give the next dose the morning after.  If it's a multiday,
another dose 2 hours before start, and one right at the start (yes, it does
feel as if I have syringes coming out of my ears at times!!)

During a ride, I feed mainly grass hay.  Any type of hay is wetted or
soaked first.  Soaked barley and crimped oats, beet pulp, and a mash made
with cracked corn and about one or two cups of wheat bran, carrots and
apples.  I don't like to feed very much bran during rides.  El Nino' has
been generous in giving us plenty of fresh green grass at all the rides
this season, so the horses have been able to graze quite a bit as well.  I
don't add any supplements or electrolytes to their feed, as it tends to
make them more picky (during the ride).  I give electrolytes based upon the
need - i.e., temperature, difficulty of ride, etc....and usually mix in
powdered probiotics in with them.   They are given separately from the
carbos, since they are usually not given as often.

btw, from the blood glucose readings I did it..it was clear that the carbo
every two hours does keep their blood sugar levels at a more constant
level.  But I'm still just getting it all figured out...got lots to learn
here.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville
& Dream Weaver..next ride, EHSC (Bridgeport)
& Rocky...maybe NASTR....if not, then Tahoe Rim :-)