Skin Disease

My  7yr old Arab mare has been diagnozed has having nodular skin disease,
which consists of several areas of raised bumps on her back and one at the
girth.  These areas are painful to the touch.   The vet informed me that he
did not view her as a sound horse due to this condition, and has placed her
on steroids.  While taking the medication, she will be unable to compete in
any shows or rides.  Has anyone had any similar experience with this
condition or any kowledge about this type of skin disease?