CALM DOWN CUES

Hi Paula!

I just spent three days at a clinic,  and if the things we learned
work with my Arab it will be well-worth the $250.  We'll be trying
them in a 25-mile CTR on June 14th.

Where are you in NY?   There will be another Richard Thompson
Clinic in Enosburg,  VT the end of Aug.

1.  When he starts to "jig" just relax your body and let him bounce
you in the saddle  (not only go limp,  but try to keep out of sync
with him.....after feeling you flopping all over like it was your first
time on his back,  he stops jigging).  The Trainer guaranteed
that HE could get ANY horse to respond to this method.

2.  Before starting EVERY ride,  reach out with the rein and pull
his nose around to your stirrup,  hold him there then pet his head.
Do that twice in each direction.  When he starts to act up,  stop and repeat
the exercise.  (You NEVER see a horse excited unless his head is UP.)

3.  John Lyons teaches the calm-down cue....picking up one rein
and holding it until he drops his head.  Repeat this until he drops his
head EVERY time you pick up the rein.  Unfortunately this takes
HUNDREDS of repetitions......not my style NOR Meshack's.

I'll be anxious to hear what others suggest.

John and Meshack (VT)