"The Debate"

I can't resist any more. Here's my two cents.  I love Ridecamp and my learning
curve in Endurance has been substantially steeper than it would have been
without it.  Did our first 25 a year ago this week.  It was actually a 30, due
to the major detour we made trying to cross that darned little pond at the
start of the ride.  Horses came in at a canter, spooking at the finish flags.
Vets said they were absolutely fit to continue.  Did I mention that I had
taken the conditioning schedule from ridecamp and used it religously - except
that I was doing it with 1500' elevation gain and loss - which I had not
factored in, and they were fit to do a 50 even then.  I was not. Knees were
about to die and I nearly fell out of the saddle.  One year later and still
riding conservatively, I intended to do the 25 at this same ride and then move
up to 50's sometime later this summer.  Two things changed my mind.  The first
was the LAST discussion on Ridecamp about the mileage controversy.  If it
takes 50 miles to be an "Endurance Rider" well, darn it, isn't that what I
wanted to do when I started this sport?  So that whole controversy was the
push that got me to step up to be a "real endurance rider".  Second, all the
wonderful people I have met on Ridecamp continue to be a source of inspiration
(and an occasional kick in the butt) at rides.  It's hard to be outgoing and
friendly when you have two green horses and a junior in tow - I was too busy
simply trying to get ready! But I did get help and advice from fellow
Rdiecampers and I would'nt trade all you guys for anything! So, I guess my
points are:
1.  that there is good to be found in ALL the discussions  that go on here
2.  I have learned from the folks with 300 miles and the folks with 3000 miles
3. that one or a 100 posts about controversial subjects that I may or may not
agree with will not ruin ridecamp for me.

Now, if I could just shake the jinx that seems to be following me around.  It
has rained on every ride I have ever attended (all 4) and the forecast for
Saturday is beginning to look cloudy.  Considering that we are in Southern
California, this is next to impossible, but has managed to happen nonetheless.
Memo to the Weather Gods:  Enough Rain Already!!!!

Alison Farrin
and the Princes, Gydion and Caer Donn (50 Miles - let me at them!)