Washoe Virus

--
Rancho Occhialini
"Where the fat guy lumbers"

Based on a limited survey,(about 11 responses) it appears that to
immunize with the rhino vaccine made no difference in this particular
outbreak.  This is not to imply that the rhino shot is not effective
against other strains, I will continue to use it q6mos, some literature
recommends more often, and I am going to ask my vet about this.  The
virus is still acting up, and one of my friend's horses, whose barn
buddy was at the ride is now showing symptoms; runny nose, lethargy, and
temp of 103.  The barn buddy has never been sick.    Some of the horses
that were treated are back on the trail, and hopefully healthy.  The
vets have also recommended disinfecting trailers and tack with a bleach
solution.

I am carrying my own water and at the end of my rides, not using the
common water troughs, such as the Cool staging area and the Auburn
Overlook.  The creeks are impossible to avoid, since they have to drink
and are sponged off in this areas, but since they are moving quickly
this time of year are hopefully carrying off anything from a previous
horse.  Not sure what to do at the endurance rides, since common troughs
at the vet areas are a necessity where natural water is not available.

It's been 5 weeks since the ride and the virus is still around.  The
protocol appears to be 7-10 days on an antibiotic and then another  2
weeks of rest before going back on the trail.  If you have any other
info, please pass it along.  Again, I was not at the ride, but since
quite a few riders in our area were, and brought it home, it obviously
is of interest.

Thanks for the reponses.
Karin O.