Re: Newbies and Oldies

>A "Newbie" can be new to endurance, but not necessarily "new" to horses - I
>think we sometimes forget that.  Horsemanship is horsemanship.  Though my
>grandfather never rode a lick of endurance, he taught me to never overwork a
>horse, & closely monitor both health, & condition.
>
>I think many Newbie's come from a "horse" background.  Fewer decide they
>want to do endurance & find a first time horse?

This is very true from my end! ;-) When I first got horses 15 years ago, I
could stick my horsemanship knowledge in a thimble -- my husband had been a
farrier for several years so he was a bit further ahead than I was but he
didn't really know a lot about riding.

I had an 11yo son then that was required (by me) to have one full year of
4-H before he could go out riding in the hills.  Thru that I got
"encouraged" to help with a club.  Because I have a slight book fetish for
"how-to" books and videos and had already amassed a huge library of horse
education stuff, I was put in charge of education.  I tried to stay 2
chapters ahead of these kids and ran the meetings like mini-clinics...even
to the point of having them here during the birth of one of our foals.  At
that time also we had nowhere to ride except in the hills with logging
roads and trails that were behind our property.

After my son graduated from high school (and after a succession of western
pleasure, English pleasure, and jumping as his disciplines), I decided to
take dressage lessons.  We also now had a covered arena.  (I live in
Washington state and it's a necessity if you want to ride regularly.)  I
spent about 5 years schooling and, for 3 of those years, working with a
fabulous classical instructor -- an Irishman who started as a jockey and
then taught classical riding in Spain for 20 years.  He never called it
"classical" anything...he said he taught "good riding".  During that time I
dabbled a bit in teaching riding -- I had taught a lot at work so it was
pretty normal for me to assume that position at home.  When James, the
trainer, died, I decided to pursue teaching more earnestly.  My goal now is
to be certified in the ARIA IBI in Recreational Riding and Dressage in
November.

I realized that I needed to get out of the arena more and back into the
hills in order to *really* be able to teach that part -- and having a
computer now allowed me to find discussion groups that could help teach me
all the stuff I needed to know. <g>  I have been on the internet for 3
years and have learned so much it's mind boggling!  In my quest for further
"more detailed and scientific" knowledge in the area of horse exercise
physiology and nutrition (I'm a heart surgery nurse on the side so pretty
used to going after the scientific bend where possible) I was led to
Ridecamp.  By this time I was doing some fairly regular treks in the woods
and endurance riding seemed to encompass all of the things I loved.

So, YES, I am a newbie!!...but just a newbie to endurance.  I have two
horses right now that we're conditioning -- a Spanish style Appy mare and
an Arab/MFT gelding.  I don't know if either of them will be much more than
good mid-distance competitors but they are awesome schooling horses and can
teach many more people about the fun of several hours out with your
horse...AND the importance of the other facets of the sport.  I have a
third horse that was a debt payment -- 15.3h 4yo dun buckskin QH
mare...lighter build, nothing much done with her (she starts her saddle
work next month) so who knows her potential anywhere yet.  I have a 4th --
a large dressage horse that's lame with navicular and DJD -- the product of
too much work at too young an age when the bones weren't sturdy yet...(not
by me.)  I plan on adding a new horse to the herd this fall...I want one
that has the "right stuff" to do the longer distances as a primary horse
for me.  I'll be sending out the feelers when the time is right! ;-)

I've been very impressed with the quality of the posts on this list.  One
of the characteristics of a good list is the family-like atmosphere that
happens when people start to know each other a bit.  From that, occasional
"chit chat" occurs or posts digress off topic every now and then -- and
this is fine...but the overall contributions are, as a general rule, well
thought out, well written, and very informative.  I realize that, if I had
been in this sport for 30 years, I would probably not be as captivated by
the posts and the info they hold...but it seems to be a wonderful medium
for the majority of the levels.  And I know, having worked in an OR for 25
years (and that makes me an old sage in *that* area ;-)), there is always
something new to learn!

Happy riding.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com