blanketing

Wondering if many riders blanket and use lights on their horses in the
winter to keep them from hairing up so much.  I've just started in the
sport, but I know this last winter, my horse grew a full coat, and it
was quite a pain riding hard this way.  He would sweat so much more
easily and then I was worried about him getting a chill because it takes
so long to dry the sweat.  At one point, he did get a respiratory
infection.  I plan to blanket this year, but then again, I suppose it
depends on where you live.  I'm in the southwest desert, where the it
doesn't get so frigid in the winter.  I hail from the north and
definitely know the difference!  Would be interested to know what folks
do regarding the blanketing issue.

Shannon