From: Ann Hatfield <keithr@nocdc.bc.ca>
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: How small is too small?
Date: Friday, June 05, 1998 10:03 AM

I have been given a scant 14:1 hand registered Arab to put trail experience
on so that he is more saleable.  He has had ring riding, some show
experience and some road work.  An instructor who worked with the young
owner felt this horse might make a CTR  horse er, pony, and I think they
are right.  I also think they may have set their sights too low-I think he
may make an endurance horse.

Is he too small to be saleable for this purpose?  He is solidly built with
a well sprung barrel so one doesn't feel as though there is little horse
under one-I'm 5'8" and I can put a leg on him without any problem.  He has
lots of bone and fine feet-sizeable and thick walled and open.

After only a bit of brush up schooling and a whole three trail rides I
really like this little fellow.  Today we rode for a fund raiser for the
Children's Wish Foundation.  Now keep in mind that his three rides were
once out with Antique Appy for reassurance, once over same trai by himself
and then a two hour trailer ride to a strange area with 50 horses and the
crazy rider decides to add a crupper to the rig!  I know, I know-don't tell
me-but I have a strange faith in this little guy and he isn't prone to
bucking!

He was a fool about creeks-leaping over then in monster jumps and
sideswiping a coupleof other horses to avoid getting his feet wet
initially-but it got way better after the 10th creek and 20th puddle and
muddy bit-so he is reprogrammable.

He goes well in the ring and his ground manner and general attiude are
absolutley terrific.  And go on the trail!  He's very soft still but always
is willing to do more.

So, what do you think?  Is he too small for the usual run of CTR and
endurance horses?  Is this not too much of a factor-is it truly judged on
how well the animal goes?

Ann H