Akhal-Tekes at Equitana

I just returned home from a fascinating visit with Dr. Tito Pontecorvo at
his Akhaltekinets Stud Farm and Riding School in Dubna, Russia, where I had
the pleasure of riding a beautiful black stallion and observing his trainer
work with dozens more.  Dr. and Mrs. Pontecorvo own over 200 Akhal-Tekes,
making them the biggest breeder of the ancient horses, outside of
Turkmenistan.  Last summer they imported 60 of their finest to the United
States, and now have a second facility in Texas.  Tito will be displaying
about a dozen of his Akhal-Teke  stallions and mares, both in hand and
performing grand prix dressage and stadium jumping at Equitana, June 18-21
in Louisville, KY.

He can be reached in Texas at :
Dr. Tito Pontecorvo
PO BOX 276
Nixon, TX 78140
830-582-1061

My Akhal Teke stallion RRR Russia was in training/campaigning with Susie
Morrill in Oregon last season, and completed 230 miles of competition.  I'm
riding him at the Wine Country 50 this weekend......my first 50 with him.
My other stallion, RRR Stolichnaya, and my AT mare RRR Asaletta will be
doing their first 50's later this month.  My horses are 15.3-16hh, a bit
taller than the arabs I'm used to competing with.  They have extraordinarily
smooth gaits.....as do Tito's.

In 1937, in a 3,000 Kilometer USSR calvary sponsored race from the capital
of Turkmenistan to Moscow, 17 Akhal Teke's were the first horses to
complete.  Is anyone currently competing in endurance on Akhal-Tekes in the
US or elsewhere?  Please email me privately.

Lari

Lari Shea                          	       http://www.horse-vacation.com
Ricochet Ridge Ranch	       Riding Vacations on the Mendocino Coast with
24201 North Highway One	       Lodging at Unique B&B Inns; International Riding.
Fort Bragg, CA 95437	       Akhal Teke and Russian Orlov/cross horses
707-964-7669ph/ 707-964-9669 fax   At stud: RRR Stolichnaya & RRR Russia