Re: Cold Back Horse

YES, after 25 years with horses and not really believing in "cold backs" I raised one!!!  She
just turned out that way....whenever I put ANYTHING on her back, she would just about drop to
the ground.  I learned that if I kept her back "warm" (i.e. even a stable sheet), I was much
better off.  After I put a pad on, I would slowly put the saddle on..walk her about a few
minutes, tighten it up, longe a few minutes, then mount.  If it did not do this, I was asking
to get bucked off!!!

Good news is that she improved with age.  NEVER had a sore back from riding...this ONLY
occurred upon first saddling.

Teddy