Re: Type/Build

In a message dated 98-06-02 09:39:53 EDT, natcon@afrox.boc.com writes:

<< What we have noticed is that the stocky ,
 strong built arab ( more bone and substance) seem to be better suited to
 the shorter distances and speed , whereas the finer (more Egyptian
 type??) seem to excel more at 100 milers ? >>

Cindy, I would have to say that I have observed just the opposite.  The
leaner, "scopier" horses tend to be able to go faster, but tend not to have
the "bottom" that the stronger-built horses do.  And yes, I have noticed a
real difference in body types beginning to show up as to what excels at which
distance over the years.  The leaner horses have a bit of an advantage in
cooling out (built more like a radiator) but they are often the horses that
either don't eat as well or don't utilize their "fiber vat" in the large colon
as well.  They tend to "run out of gas" while their stockier peers who may
have been a bit slower at 50 miles tend to keep going and going like the
energizer bunny.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)