Type/Build

I know a while back there was a discussion on bloodlines etc for
endurance - I do not want to ressurect that one , but here is a general
question. What , if any , is the relation of build to ability for
certain distances? That sounds very crude , but I am typing while trying
to formulate the question.. What we have noticed is that the stocky ,
strong built arab ( more bone and substance) seem to be better suited to
the shorter distances and speed , whereas the finer (more Egyptian
type??) seem to excel more at 100 milers ? I know there is always  the
bloodlines , training etc influences, but as a general observation. If
you are going to concentrate on long distances at steady speeds what
build/type would you go for??
Regards,
Cindy Budler
National Contracts Department