Washoe Virus

--
Rancho Occhialini
"Where the fat guy lumbers"

I have forwarded Jim Bumgardner's message re: the Washoe Virus to
friends who are battling it right now.  One of their horses is back on
the trail, and seems to be doing fine.  Most of our friends who were at
the Washoe ride have one or more horses that are or were ill from the
virus.   One couple took 2 horses to the ride, and now all 5 of theirs
are confined with the bug.

This is an informal survey and non scientific, but it would be
interesting to find out if any of these horses had received a twice
yearly rhino immunization.  Of the people we know that attented the
ride, the one horse that did not contract the illness was given a rhino
shot every 6 months.   This horse was camped next to and rode with 2 of
the horses that eventually became ill.  Four of the people I talked to
did not give rhino, and their horses were sick.  One did give rhino, but
only once a year.  I know there is a lot of controversy about
immunizing, so I am interested to see some feedback on this.  I have
only talked to a small group, so larger numbers may garner different
information, including from me since I do ride with some of the horses
that are ill.  I do give a twice yearly rhino.  This bug has or seems to
have a long incubation, so horses can be exposed and on the trail
without realizing they are sick.  I'm checking mine closely, just in
case.
Thanks,
Karin O.