children riding

I have two sons, 6 and 2.  The first one rode without stirrups for years,
but was unable to learn to trot very well, and it was really holding him
back.  I had the same problem with the little  western 'baby' saddle of the
leathers not going short enough.  I finally figured out to replace the
western stirrups and leathers (and fenders) with english leathers and
'safety' stirrups, the kind with a heavy rubber band on the outside.  I
have never had one of them come off, with the foot hung, so I don't really
know how easily the band would come off, but it does make me feel better,
and they were highly recommended to me.

Hope this helps, Becky Huffman