100 miler and point system

Hi there

It seems to be the case that replies to this request have been scarce due to
lack of understanding of the awarding of "SPRINGBOK COLOURS"

 Angela C. Mcgee wrote
(Springbok
>colours)?

Exactly what ARE Springbok colours?

Angie

Linda S.Flemmer wrote

Greg Miles wrote:
> Do colours get awarded in the U.S.A for 100 milers eg (Springbok colours)?
> What are the pro`s and cons of the point system?
> What do you think of rider horse combination awards ?

Here in the US, AERC has awards that recognize the best rider over 65
yrs., the best conditioned horse, the best team, the most miles, etc.
Championships are settled using only 100 mile rides.  (Next year, there
will be a 50 mile champion as well.)  Outstanding individuals (horse OR
rider) are put into a "Hall of Fame" through election.

You may not be receiveing many replies because we do not offer "Do
colours get awarded in the U.S.A for 100 milers eg (Springbok
colours)."  I have never heard of this here and have no idea what the
colours actually stand for, how they are awarded, etc.

Sounds like a culture gap, here.  Can you explain a bit more fully how
your current system works for the shorter distances.  Then maybe we can
offer input into the 100 mile awards.  You probably don't want the 100
mile awards to be so different as to present a problem for upcoming
riders to understand.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton MIlls, WV  USA

Rebecca wrote
Greg, I'm not sure what you are asking. There is alot of things to give
as awards. The Tevis
Cup gives a very nice silver and gold belt buckle. Which my husband has
5!  I helped him get 3
of them.They give everybody that finishes a buckel. Here is some
suggestions of things that Jack
and I have made for some rides. A winter waterproof horse blanket with
the name of the ride
for first. A summer weight horse blanket with the name of the ride,
maybe best condition,
90" by 90" cotton cooler with ride name on it. Also cordura nose bags
and cordura hay
bags and cordura cantal bags, these make very nice low cost finishing
awards. Also we make a nice horse sheet that makes a nice award. What we
found is that people like an award that they can use with their horses.
Either winning or best condition or just finishing. It all depends on
how much money the group has alotted for finishing awards. I don't know
if any of this has helped
But I will help with what I can. Plus I don't know the climate there.
Rebecca--Underwood Enterprizes--1-541-826-9668
Home of a treeless saddle and other horse and pet products
(new name for our treeless saddle is just about ready to share with
everybody)

LET ME EXPLAIN MY POINT MORE CLEARLY

I think there is a slight culture gap between the Americans and South
Africans.

Our National 50 mile championship held annually also gives silver and bronze
belt buckles to competitors who complete the course in the specified time.
There are also numerous other prises eg best condition, olders rider,oldest
horse,first pure bred arabian , and so the list goes on.

When you do something or compete you ultimately want to achieve or try to
come as close to the top as possible obviously taking into consideration the
well being of your horse .
South Africa is divided into provinces and riders are chosen to represent
their province at nationals .  Provincial team usually have a name and
emblem by which they are known . The national team also has an emblem and
name by which they are known .
The national team is the best team chosen on certain criteria during the
riding season that will represent South Africa.

This team is called the springbok team . The emblem is a springbok , which
is a type of buck . At any level of sport be it Athletics , swimming
roadrunning, baseball,golf etc the best individuals are chosen on merit and
performance to represent the country , be it even the olympic team . These
participants are then awarded springbok colours and are south africa`s best
.

How are Americans chosen for the olympic team? do they get any colours ?

If an American golf team is chosen to take part in a tournament or world
championship or to compete against another country , are they not recognized
for this achievement or given an American blazer to say that they have
represented America in golf ?????

Springbok colours are awarded to riders after the 50 mile Nationals where a
Team of 4 or 5 riders will recieve this award of highest honour and if a
national event was to take place these members would represent South Africa
.
Alreday the springbok team rides endurance against the Namibian team .
The riders to not recieve prices or money but an achievemnt award to say
that they were teh best of the best that year . (something like TOPGUN by
Tom Cruise for any of you who saw the movie)

This award has never been given for the 100 milers because the 100 milers
always came second to 50 milers. A group of people who rather ride 100
milers want to award national colours for 100 milers hereby giving the
riders something to ride for. (eg hall of fame ) All springboks could
feature in the hall of fame .

The endurance governing body in S.A. wants proposals to be put forward as to
how a national team should be selected. In my first letter to ridecamp there
was a list of temporary proposals drawn up .

Now maybe I can ask the questions again!!!!!

> Do colours get awarded in the U.S.A for 100 milers eg (Springbok colours)?
> What are the pro`s and cons of the point system?
> What do you think of rider horse combination awards ?
Any suggestions on a point system to pick out the best 5 riders annually or
biannually so that National colours can be awarded to these riders??

I hope you now all understand

Please all inputs are greatly appreciated.

Greg Miles
El Barec Arabians