Re: rearing & round pen work

Melody and Carolyn;

I am very enthusiastic about the John Lyons teaching methods so my first
advice is to get (buy, borrow or rent) any of the JL tape series.

I know he covers rearing in one of them.  He also covers it in his book under
the trailer loading chapter.  You need a crop or whip.  WHILE the horse's
front legs are off the ground during a rear hit them quickly and firmly.  He
even says that if that bothers you put boots on their legs; it is more the
noise and the reprimand than pain that gets the idea across.

But first ask yourself if you have taught these horses to lead properly?  It
starts with teaching the "go forward" cue and progresses to having the horse
leading beside you on a loose lead, never plunging ahead or dragging behind.
I have been able to teach my 2 and I am no trainer!  I have had the good
fortune to have a JL trainer near me to hound my butt about being consistent
and precise.  It is truly awesome stuff once you teach something and see the
rationale at work.

In answer to the question whether a 2 y.o. can do round pen work -- YES!  The
object is to get control, NOT to run the horse until it is exhausted.  You
will be getting some bursts of action as the horse learns what you are looking
for so protect the legs with boots.  Use common sense to not put your horse in
danger but don't think it has a short attention span to limit the lessons.

Believe me, I have seen such a difference in both my horses.  They are calmer
and happier and they are a joy to be around.  And I still have LOTS of stuff
to teach them!  JL does a great job of teaching what is required to have
excellent ground manners.  The "Leading and Loading" tape is probably the most
useful for the problems you are having now.

Good Luck with your teaching and let me know how it comes out.

Melanie in AZ