Looking at spookie things

Spooks and spooks.  There are many kinds.  If you want my
tutorial, e-mail me privately (wendy@fc.hp.com) and I'll
send you it.

K S Swigart wrote:
>You can use a little leg (on the same side as the spookie thing)
>behind the girth to keep the horse moving forward, in addition to
>reminding the horse that it is supposed to be paying attention to YOU.

This is backwards.  When a horse spooks, or moves in any way, he moves
in the direction of his shoulders.  By turning the head away from a
spook, you should be turning his shoulders into the spook.  The horse
can see behind himself.  You are not turning the head so he doesn't
see the spook.  At the same time, use leg on the opposite side of
the spook. This causes the horse to be round and sort of "leaning"
into the spook.  It takes much more work for the horse to spook
away from the object.  If you turn the head, and don't use your
leg, the horse is liable to turn away from the spook, which isn't what
you want.

Drake has a favorite spook.  It's a rock that fell some 4 years ago.
He swears it will some day jump out and eat him.  He must walk by
it, with a cliff on the other side, each time we are out for our
ride.  As I approach the rock, (rock on left), I apply a lot of
right leg and make him round around my right leg. It's almost like
I am leg yeilding him into the rock.  By the way, this is a boredom,
let's see what kind of things I can get away with today, type of
spook.  On the way back, he doesn't see the rock.
--
Wendy

                    \|/
          /\        -O-
         /**\       /|\
        /****\   /\
       /      \ /**\   Here there be dragons

 Wendy Milner                     HPDesk:   wendy_milner@hp4000
 Hewlett-Packard Company          e-mail:   wendy@fc.hp.com
 Mail Stop A2-5UB3                Telnet:   898-2182
 3404 E. Harmony Rd.              AT&T:     (970) 898-2182
 Fort Collins, CO, 80528-9599     FAX:      (970) 898-2038