Horseshoes

From: Allyn Brewer-Babitch
Email: allyn@sindar.com

Hi all,

I am a relative newbie to the ridecamp list;  I've been lurking about a month, but I've been on the carriage driving list for a little while, and recently the discussion of shoeing came up.  One driver said she had tried the new Piero-Olivieri ATM (Aluminum-Titanium-magnesium) shoes, and had liked them very well;  and I wondered if any distance riders had tried them, and what their impression was.

These shoes are reputed (hyped?) to be lightweight yet durable, and to significantly absorb shock (up to 77%) and increase traction (without borium).  I've heard the NYC mounted police use them, etc.- do any of you?  I asked my farrier (a good and experienced one), but he hadn't used them yet, and was leary of any product with Titanium ("doesn't work", he proclaims).  But he's willing to get them if I want.  I'm in no hurry, as my new mare is in foal, and not due until mid-August- so it'll be January before I can think about conditioning her seriously.  But since I plan to drive and distance ride her, I'd like the most help from shoes I can get.  Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance!

Allyn Brewer-Babitch
Skyhorse Bashkir Curlies
San Jose, CA
allyn@sindar.com

PS Anyone in the Gilroy CA area need a trail riding partner?  I can only go easy right now, but will get more serious next January.  Have trailer and room for another horse- envision riding in Coe Park (80,000 acres!) and Mt. Madonna, and anywhere else good we can find.