Re: AERC Bylaws Suggestions

In a message dated 98-05-22 13:42:34 EDT, guest@endurance.net writes:

<< So, IMHO, I believe Heidi has raised a very valid
 concern.  Maybe folks *can* afford computers, the Internet connection,
 etc., but they may not *want* to use this type of technology. >>

I am a fairly recent Net user myself, and I used to get just FURIOUS when
people arrogantly assumed that if they put something on the Net, everyone had
access to it!  Last estimate I heard, only something like 15% of our
population was on the Net.  That number grows daily, I'm sure, but I think we
are jumping the gun to assume that it is something everyone can do!  Someone
else mentioned renting a computer at the library or some such--I grew up in a
place that was many rural miles away from a library, and that was a small
branch of a library 175 miles away, and only open limited hours!  My sister
still lives there--she would like to look at my web site, but has yet to find
a close neighbor on the Net where she can go look it up.  The whole world just
simply is not into the Net yet!

Heidi