Re: Soundness

>Has anyone ever had a horse, that they had all these high hopes for,
>just not make it because of unsoundness, and there was really no
>reason,
>that you could see for the unsoundness?

Lauren,
Just cleaning out my box.  YES!  I had my heart BROKEN by Jommeh, a 9 yr.
old Arab gelding with a good foundation in driving.

He was sweet, beautiful, gorgeous conformation, fast, the faster he got
the smoother he got, camped, stood quietly for shoes, great P&R's,
trained him for 6 months with never an off step.  Entered our 1st ride
(50) and he was off at the first check.

3 months later, entered another ride...same thing.  Both times he was
sound as a dollar the next day.  I rode him as far as 35 miles in
training with never an off step.  I entered him in 5 rides and he was off
at the fist vet check every time, and fine within HOURS of the race.  The
vets couldn't decide what his trouble was even with flexing.

I wasted an entire year of training.  Finally, devastated, I decided to
sell him.  A lady was on her way to look at him for her daughter and he
galloped down the hill, wiped out and shattered his rear splint bone.  I
had to sell my backup horse to pay for his surgery.  I had a horse who
needed stall rest for a couple of months, and no replacement.

Funny thing about this horse, he loved the easy life.  He never
complained about the stall confinement.  He would just love on me the
whole time I cleaned his stall.  When he recovered, I sold him to a 16
year old girl as a pleasure horse.  They laughed about the fact that when
they turned him out of his stall, he just stood at the gate all day
wanting put back in.

But...remember, sometimes bad things have to happen to shove you in the
right direction.  Since I had no money to replace Jommeh right off, I was
willing to accept an offer of a very green Arab gelding that the owner
wanted me to just "take and pay me when you get some money".  He was a
little rank at times, had an attitude, but then, some horses just deserve
to do endurance!  That was Kaboot and I hope he is my pardner for the
next 10 years at least.  He doesn't love on me when I clean a stall, as a
matter of fact, he hates a stall.  He's a little more aloof at times and
would rather not be brushed, but then....he never offered to turn towards
the trailer when we passed it at the 88 mile mark last weekend.  He's got
the attitude and the ability for endurance.  I'm glad I gave up on
Jommeh.

Angie and Kaboot (who likes his job)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]