Re: watch your step! - Trotting downhill

Interesting the comment<<< However, I've heard people say that "horses only
have so many down hill miles>>>

After all the horse has only so many miles on the flat also. When the end
comes it can go no further!!!

These are all "old wives tales" (now comes the flames for being sexist)
Champagne, 8,000 miles in competition and now 28 years old trotted up hill
and down hill and is still going strong.

We train to strengthen ALL muscles not just those used on the flat. It is
natural for the horse to trot down hill, any hill. To walk down is
difficult and in the natural world with out human intervention, you will
seldom if ever see the horse walk down, If walking they will traverse back
and forth across the hill to get down.

So, the end advice is to train for trotting down hill and then just do it.

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID