Pasture Kickers

Hi Ridecampers,

I have a friend who would like some help. The problem: she has three
geldings (two of them are current endurance mounts) and four mares (one
is current endurance, two are broodmares who do pleasure rides and one
just-turned-four y.o.). It is the four year old who is causing problems.
They just put her under saddle and she is taking to this just fine when
they are riding their horses on trail. The one time we tried a different
riding partner, the youngster turned with no warning (I really was
watching her!) while we were riding on a sandy road and kicked my horse
twice in just seconds with both hind feet each time. With time, he is
OK. We're working on this part.
The problem part we would like help with is that when they turn this
young mare back into the pasture, she sometimes kicks the others. She
just kicked one of the geldings Saturday. They penned her by herself,
but she tore through the fencing (never hurting herself) to get back to
the herd. Does anyone have any suggestions for Sylvia?

Linda Parrish
Kennard, TX