Re: watch your step!

On Sat, 16 May 1998 10:12:01, -0500, XXDU78A@prodigy.com (MS LOUISE D
BURTON) wrote:

>I ride the terrain, whatever it
>dictates.   Have you ever ridden with Trilby?  I had the honor last year at
>Timberon.  She is paranoid where her horse steps...watches the trail and
>guides her horse the entire way.  I have noticed people who WATCH and GUIDE
>their horse on a trail to always take the best course get horses to last
>and last.

Although I don't like to do "me too" posts, this point deserves
reinforcement.  This is how I rode Kahlil -- always paying attention
to the trail, planning ahead to choose the best line and avoid
hazards.  Slowing down in bad footing even if that meant losing
position.  Not running fast down steep hills, ditto.  Although we
trained for downhill and would canter down mild slopes and trot down
moderately steep ones; I would get off for steep downhills.  There
were times I slowed down for rocks while another rider took advantage
of my slowing to dash past me, less than a mile from the finish line.

I believe this is an essential factor in a horse's staying sound over
a long career.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net