Re: toughening hooves

>I have heard that you can toughen hooves using iodine on the soles.  I would
>rather do that than use pads but I figured there must a drawback.  My farrier
>said you could over-dry the hoof but if careful it could work.  What do you
>ridecampers say?  Thumbs up or down?
>
>Melanie in AZ

Actually, I have had several vets recommend iodine/formaldehyde, and
several riders besides myself have our vets make it up for us.  I don't
particularly like using pads in the first place, and since I do NATRC CTR
(where pads are not allowed) as well as AERC, then the various hoof
toughening concoctions are an option that seems to be working very well.
The main thing is to just put the stuff on the sole:  don't let it dribble
on the coronet band and don't get any of it on *you*.

-- Lynn K. (Santa Ynez, CA)
   http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky