Teaching a horse to walk

Hi Anita,

I teach all our horses to walk using a method taught to me by an old cowboy
years and years ago.  It has worked everytime.  It does take consistency,
patience and a true belief that a walk is a very worthwhile gait.

I usually start the lesson on the way home.  I get my legs in rhythum with
the horses back legs.  Move your legs back a little and one at a time give
them a leg on the same side that the horses leg is reaching forward.  This
will encourage just a little more reach to start with.  I also say walk,
walk etc. in rhythum with my legs.  The horse will keep walking faster and
faster once the rhythum is established.  I continue this scenerio on the
next ride going out, not expecting too much at first but getting the
rhythum going.  The key is your legs in rhythum with their hind legs, one
at a time.  Be patient and really school on the way home.  This method
worked well with our show horses too and we won many a western pleasure
class with the help of a good steady walk.  Once your horse gets the idea,
be prepared to out walk your riding buddies but do not slow your horse down
for them.  It's critical that once you establish this, you keep it going.
After a long time (like a couple years) you can then vary your walk speed.
Also I would strongly recommend you do this alone as you don't need the
distraction of other horses to start with.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Sharon
West Reagion