Re: Shoe Wear

Hi Lauren,
I'll just answer this post and the one you wrote about Kaboot all at
once.  I have no doubt that we are not "perfectly balanced"...for one
thing, how come the buckel on my right stirrup wants to move up and the
one on my left stays still?  (No, my legs aren't swinging, and I switch
diagonals religiously)  Anyway, to answer your question about wear on
Kaboot, his shoes wear beautifully.  The fronts show almost no wear, it's
so even, and the rear ones match each other.  He's so wide in the back
that he has flairs to the inside and a fairly straight wall on the
outside.  He tends to wear the inside from pushing off in the squat
position.

I know some people are really "in" to chiropracters, I'm not one of them.
 Seen as many humans hurt as helped.  His "hitting harder" is so vague
that even good vets are iffy when they think they see something.

You didn't say what breed your horses are.  When I had Appaloosas it was
common for them to wear the toes of their shoes.  I think they did it
mostly walking around the field.  They just kind of drug them as they
walked slowly.  These horses were off the track and had very low "daisy
cutter" action.

By the way, whoever wrote "Check left hip/stifle"  Was that to me?  Would
you please elaborate?

Angie and Kaboot (You think HE'S out of balance, you should have seen
Isaiah!)

>I have noticed that the wear patterns are quite distict on my geldings
>shoes. He slides the rear hooves and wears the whole shoe pretty
>evenly.
>You can see the slide marks in the metal and when I watch him walk and
>trot his rear hoofs slide forward on the ground (Hard to see, but I
>know
>he does it). His front shoes only show wear at the toes. He does not
>slide the front hooves.
>
>Does this indicate something about the way he moves? Do horses slide
>only on the back or also on the front?
>
>Lauren

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]